We are currently seeking nominations for elected Trustees of the Corporation and Brown Alumni Association Officers. Brown alumni can help in identifying thoughtful, engaged, and diverse candidates for election to key volunteer leadership roles at Brown. Please take a moment to nominate the Brunonians you think will excel in these important positions.Submit a nomination
Curiosity. Civic engagement. Leadership.
These are hallmarks of Brown grads. That’s why thousands of you take part in the annual Alumni Elections:
- You want a say in the future of the University and the alumni community.
- With elections decided by as few as 50 ballots, each vote truly counts.
Which positions are elected, and who can vote?
Alumni Elections include both the Brown Alumni Association elected officers and the Corporation's elected trustees. Which candidates appear on your ballot depend on where you are in the student-alumni journey – much as the candidates on your local and state ballots depend on where you live. In brief:
- Students who are within one year of completing their first Brown degree vote for New Alumni Trustee.
- Young alumni who graduated up to five years ago vote for New Alumni Trustee, elected Trustees, and BAA officers.
- All other alumni (all alums who graduated more than five years ago) vote for elected Trustees and Brown Alumni Association (BAA) officers.
One-third of Brown’s trustees take office through the Alumni Election, ensuring that a variety of alumni perspectives are represented in that body. Most trustees serve six-year terms.
In 2017, the Corporation designated two New Alumni Trustee positions for recent Brown graduates. Three candidates are chosen to run for the two-year position each year by a diverse nominating committee; the candidate with the most election votes becomes the next New Alumni Trustee.
Two additional features of the New Alumni Trustee election stand out:
- Only students in their final year of study and alumni who graduated in the last five years are eligible to vote for New Alumni Trustees.
- Candidates for the position must be in their final year of study or have graduated from Brown within the past three years.
Brown Alumni Association Officer Elections
(Every other year — Next election will happen in 2021)
The alumni body selects the BAA’s President-Elect, Secretary and Treasurer through the Alumni Election. The previous President-Elect becomes President after a two-year term, for a total of four elected officers who lead the 25-member Board of Governors. When the President-Elect becomes the new President, he or she also begins a six-year term as a member of the Board of Trustees.